Sunday, August 24, 2008

5 Nights, 6 Days, 17 Portages

Dad finally dropped off the pictures from the BWCA, and I've uploaded them to shutterfly. We look remarkably clean and rested in the photos.

I like the portage view from under the canoe. Dad took this picture after I had portaged a short distance - there was no way I was going to stand there with a canoe on my head after carrying it half a mile. And I did both 180 rod portages on this trip.

Here's how happy I am to be portaging a measly 30-rodder:

And, despite seeing two bears . . .

We had no unfortunate encounters. Perhaps it's our excellent bear bag hanging skills!

I have to say we're such old hands that we made pretty good time. While boyscouts kept passing us on portages, we managed to pass them on the open water. And we also, somewhat miraculously, never flipped the canoe.

Maybe next time . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should submit a trip report on bwcaboard.com .... you could win a free canoe trip :-)