Saturday, December 1, 2007

The Green Thumb Strikes Again!

Apparently, ignoring plants is one of the best things you can do for them. This orchid was handed to me after it had given its flowers to a wedding bouquet. (It had also been damaged when a closing door snapped both the stems and the sticks supporting them.) I stuck it in my east window along with all of my happy African Violets and basically forgot about it, except for weekly waterings of course.
It spent all summer growing a new leaf, and I periodically wondered if it should be repotted, if the stems should be trimmed off, or if I should move it to a new location. But I never bothered to do anything.
And now, if you look at the stem on the left you'll see that it's growing a new stem. It looks like I may actually get blooms! And the cats must find the taste horrible, since the orchis has no nibble marks, unlike the snake plants that are contantly ragged and stringy from chewing.
Plus, the mini African Violet looks like it's getting ready to bloom again. Boy, there's nothing like an east window. I'll post pictures of them both in bloom if they ever get there.

No comments: