Thursday, February 21, 2008

Finally, a day off . . .

Kind of. I've still got some work that I need to do, but at least I've had the time and freedom to do some cleaning around here. Well, picking up, if not dusting and scrubbing.

And I managed to read most of my latest Economist. Oh how I missed real news while away. There's nothing worse than cable news channels, and that's just about all we had at the Conference Center (that and 800 channels of ESPN . . . not sure which one I find the least appealing).

At least my lack of t.v. news did give me some respite from this interminable presidential campaign. Every time I watch any coverage, I feel a bit like I'm on a death watch. It doesn't really matter who wins, it's going to be major letdown, culminating in a lackluster one-termer. The right hates Clinton so much, I wouldn't be surprised if they're already drafting articles of impeachment, just in case they get the chance to use them. And McCain and Obama keep making promises that any reasonable person knows are doomed to failure. McCain probably has the best chance of surviving his broken campaign slogans, but that's mostly because only about 5% of his supporters actually like him. The rest are just holding their noses.

Seriously, does anyone believe that we can really make it through the next four years without raising taxes? Oh, sure, we can try; let's just sit back while we create a complete and total budget disaster. And what's up with the near messianic love of Obama? He's a politician, folks, and most of what he's spewing is pipe dreams. Remember when everyone loved W? When he was a regular guy, who would bring compassion and dignity back to the office of the president? When his approval ratings were around 80%? Umm, how many months did that last? And how hard and low did he fall?

Oh, well. I should probably just gird myself for the inevitable. There will be an election that votes in someone who is supposed to fix everything, someone who will assuredly work across the aisle for consensus. And then people will slowly realize that what they thought they were voting for can't really happen. And then there will be anger and despondency. Perhaps America will "lose its innocence" again for the bazillionth time.

Maybe if we're lucky--really, really lucky--something truly awful will end up killing lots of us. That will give the president (and countless governors) an opportunity to make a stirring speech about coming together and moving forward. And everyone will be happy again, sending approval ratings through the roof.

Let's just hope that bird flu or a hurricane doesn't kill off all the speech writers. . .

No comments: